Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I know, I know, Seattle and Spokane since last blog

Hi everyone! I know, I know I promised posts by Sunday nights…my excuse? I have been traveling…first to Port Orchard, Washington- home a few days- then to Spokane, WA.
My trip to Seattle involved delivering 12 windows worth of coverings: 8 roman shades and 4 drapes with large grommets for the living room, kitchen, spare bedroom, dining room, and hallway of my daughter McCall & son-in-law Zach’s new home. I really feel that window dressings are part of the jewelry of the room…they can either be the showpiece or just blend in and allow other pieces to be the focal point. In McCall and Zach’s case, we had a little of both: the aqua damask is definitely the focal point of the living room!(Photo on left.) The Cheltenham fabric in the spiced curry painted kitchen (http://www.calicocorners.com/) is perfect for their updated traditional style and pulls all of the colors they like together.(Photo on right.)



I considered the 2nd trip (and the reason I missed the self-imposed Sunday deadline) a research trip! My friend Annette needed to pick up a dining set, look at granite, faucets, & lighting for a kitchen remodel. Research you ask? When else would I get to visit a larger city (Spokane) to view the whole line of Kohler products, lots of different granite, upscale faucets, lighting brands I had never heard of, and visit another cabinet showroom and factory (Huntwood)??? AND, I found another great furniture store called The Tin Roof. http://www.tinrooffurniture.com/ The owners’ daughter is a published interior designer from the area & does a fantastic job with displays. Yes, you can get the furniture here in Great Falls at Rachel’s, Ferrin’s Furniture or Motifs for the Home. (Anybody want some lighted flowers or pussy willow branches???)
If any of you are fans of Amy Butler style fabric, check out http://www.buttercuppity.com/ website. They are located downtown Spokane and carry a large selection of bright fabrics perfect for children’s clothes, aprons, computer covers, pillows, computer bags, or diaper bags.
We also fit Big Sky Tournament Women’s Basketball games into the schedule as Annette’s niece Rachel plays for MSU. They made it all the way to the championship game, but lost by 4 points!
Things I learned on these 2 trips:
-The song “Fall” by Jasmine Ash is perfect for a wedding DVD.
-Wear good shoes as walking a lot while kitchen shopping is unavoidable.
-Leaving Spokane at 5:30 pm gets me home to Great Falls about 1:45 am. (Even with snow on Rogers Pass near Lincoln, MT)
-So, you really do need to handpick your granite as there is no such thing as a single piece of soapstone or Black Pearl granite looking the same…it all depends on where it came out of the quarry.
-Sean Kelly’s Bar & Grill in Missoula, MT is completely full on a Wednesday night with college age bingo players! Good food, good times!
-The Mo Club is a great place to spot Great Falls UM students celebrating Kelly Waumbacher’s 23rd birthday.


-Annette and I did not run out of things to discuss- we were able to solve the world’s problems between Great Falls & Spokane!
-Annette’s friends are my friends- our wonderful hosts, Dana & Dave, had never met me before Thursday night but treated me as if I had known them forever! Thanks D & D English!

SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!

DESIGN QUOTE OF THE WEEK: [on marketing using interior design] You don't sell a commodity, you sell joy, gaiety, excitement. You aim at people's hearts, not their minds.
Dorothy Draper, Detroit News

No comments:

Post a Comment