Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Love to Paint!

I have been thinking a lot about paint these past couple of weeks, mainly because I have had to choose for my own house remodel. I should preface this blog with the statement that I LOVE to paint. It is very rewarding and not that hard to do. I can be fussy with the preparation and tools used- I definitely have my favorites!
As most of you know, you used to have to choose between latex or oil-based paints. At least in the past, the oil based was more of an option; one that I chose more often than not. Now it seems the paint companies are doing away with oil-based because of its’ environmental impact. In addition, they are combining paint with primer and lowering the VOC’s for their current offerings. VOC’s are volatile organic compounds, and are the stinky part of paint. I am very pleased with this new development as I have sinus problems with the smell of paint and chemicals.
In the past, if I was painting cabinets, trim, in a bathroom or somewhere that would require frequent washing, I always chose oil based paints. Now the companies have changed even their latex paints, omitting the oils almost exclusively- so choosing semi-gloss latex is just as washable as any oil-based paint was in the past.
Back to one of the newer developments- paint with primer combination. I have tried 2 brands and have really liked what I have used. They cover well, usually in 1 coat, but have had to use 2 coats most of the time as I was covering a really dark color or was painting on bare sheetrock. I cannot say there is no need for primers anymore, as you must consider what you are painting over. Also, consider the rule that you may not cover oil-based paint with latex because it will not stick. My example is a laundry room that was painted well over 8 years ago (and did not really need to be repainted but we added some sheetrock that was taped and mudded) with an oil based paint, so in my opinion, the walls must first be primed. The paint sticks better when primed properly.
A note about picking paint for your home: try to create a “flow” from room to room. I mean to carry a color or theme from room to room. If you carry a color throughout, it does not have to be the same color, they could blend or an accent color is repeated from room to room. I try to keep the colors intensity the same; 1 room is not bright and the rest of the rooms are subdued. Even keeping the trim color, the same throughout the home can help create this “flow”.

Update on the house remodel: We have the direct-vent fireplace installed with a designer view surround (picture frame style) and glass instead of logs. The glass is bronze in color and looks very cool- AND there is a remote to start and stop the flame! The cabinets for each side of the fireplace were delayed (some salespersons tell you what they think you want to hear), which in turn dela
yed the concrete countertops and rock for front of the house and fireplace. But, they just finished with all of that last week…no more contractors and having to be glued to the house! Grass cloth was hung above the mantel area by myself…and I survived…we are currently tiling the half bath and laundry room, staining the columns out front, waiting on copper caps for the columns, and finishing the details…before phase two?!?!? Yes, there will be a phase two...kitchen cabinets…then master bath, more siding, patio, 4th bath to be finished (finally, after 17 years of living here)…Of course I have no prediction when the list will be completed(hopefully before they carry us out of here!) Stay tuned...
Pictures: Rock just finished on fireplace, sea grass up on mantle, rock on front of house.

DESIGN QUOTE of the WEEK:
“A house has to evolve and change.”—Furniture designer Julian Chichester, November 06

No comments:

Post a Comment