Monday, February 21, 2011

Color schemes cont...

More color schemes? Yes, I can never get enough..in fact I love pouring over colors for a room or house I am working on...you can definitely change the atmosphere just by changing the color. I think back 17 years ago when we bought our house and the carpet was peach, the walls were freshly painted off-white(because they were covering peach paint!), and the kitchen had dirt colored carpet, not sure if it came that way, but when we changed the flooring there were buckets of dirt underneath...like who was the cleaner there??? (Keep the peach in mind when reading below-because 1 of my favorite sayings is: "What goes around, comes around.") My great room has come a long way from peach, then to a golden color, and now the new tabacco leaf, garden shed, and morning sky paint on the main floor walls.

When changing your interior decor it is a good idea to coordinate old with new. I just finished painting my oak bannister(I know some of you wood lovers will be appalled) to match the new door color(Sherwin Williams suitable brown), re-stained the endcaps and shoerail to match the new laminate floors. I left the ballusters an off-white that matches the trims around the room.

To get started I recommend looking at the paint store pamphlets for ideas. Then take color swatches home and tape them to the wall as the lighting in the stores are quite different than in your home. If need be, buy a sample and paint a square of the paint on your wall or a piece of wood. Then let the sample sit throughout the day so you can make sure you like it in all of the different lighting it will be exposed to. (i.e. flourescent lighting, sunlight, incandescent, etc.) The paints that seem to change color before your eyes tend to be the taupes, tans and lighter colors. They may be picking up on the color of an object placed close by. For instance, the tobacco leaf has a green tinge in my house most of the day, but looks tan at times because of the lighting.
I have included several color schemes from the 2011 Benjamin Moore brochure. For a modern mediterranean look, try Benjamin Moore's Intense Peach on walls or an accent wall, with Porter Ranch Cream(ceiling), Raisin(trim),Jaimacan Aqua (pillows or small upholstery), and Natural Wicker(large pieces.)




For a spirited, vibrant, colorful, bold, playful look, try Benjamin Moore's Storm, lucerne, royal flush, paper mache, wrought iron, and grape green.






A "soulful" look would include Benjamin Moore's hush, vintage wine, etrscan, wasabi, and amulet.







Remodel update: I think I told you last posting that I had painted the bannister the new door color, and re-stained the endcaps for the stairrail going to the top floor. The bannister and endcaps were stained a light oak that matched the kitchen cabinets, so I went alot darker to match the new floor. We are having a debate about whether to carpet the steps again or use wood. I, of course want wood or painted steps, my husband wants carpeted because he is afraid he or the dogs will slide. The picture on the left is BEFORE; the picture on the right is AFTER. (In the AFTER picture, the door to the right is one of the new doors with the Sherwin Williams Suitable Brown.)




Design quote of the day: "It is just as disastrous to have the wrong accessories in your room as it is to wear sport shoes with an evening dress." Dorothy Draper

Inspiration of the day: I don't have one today...just internet shopping for a table base I could use. Any ideas??? I like an urn style pedestal for a 6 foot round top...let me know if you have come across anything like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment