Monday, September 27, 2010

Introducing a new addition to my blog...and Parade of Homes Attributes

The new addition to my blog is a piece on WHAT INSPIRES ME when I am in the middle of designing my own space or someone elses. This week it was the fall Ballard Design cataloque and their use of finishes ad fabrics that evoke an antique, lived-in feel. I was inspired to go to my stash of metal ceiling tiles and cabinets to create artwork and and endtable(still in progress.)

End table in the making???




old ceiling tile w/ aqua paint



metal border tile in olive

It was well worth the $7 ticket price if you attended the 10th Annual Parade of Homes this past weekend in Great Falls! The homes represented all price points, from a NeighborWorks home built for financially qualified owners AND built by our very own high school students, to a million dollar plus priced home. Several design styles were represented- craftsman details, formal with lots of millwork, modern cable rails on the stairways with stained concrete floors, to tray ceilings in a master closet. This home also had a beautifully tiled wall in the shape of an arc and a soaking tub situated in front of some gorgeous picture windows overlooking the Missouri River!
If you are just looking to see what is new in the home building industry or want to get ideas for a remodel or new construction project-the Parade of Homes is the open house of all open houses! A couple of things caught my eye: the Neighbor Works house was staged by the current senior class of interior designers at MSU-COT as well as one other middle priced home was staged by a local interior designer. (I was asked to help in the project by choosing a room, but we had prior commitments and I felt that the time constraints were too tight to do a show my style properly.) Staging a home can only enhance its attributes and maybe even help sell them for you- or just give you ideas for your own home.
Another high point for me was the Whispering Ridge Hallmark home. It was a mix of contemporary/modern and traditional design ideas. The moldings were simple with a basic 1 X 6 (???), the windows were not trimmed with a traditional molding, they just had sheetrock bull-nosed (a rounded edge) up to the window sill. The basement floor was stained concrete- and yes, the floor did show some cracking , but it felt like it was part of the staining. The designer of this home had a clear idea of what he wanted to do and it was very appealing to me with no clutter, simple lines, fresh contemporary, dark cabinets, some curvy floor design to designate the living area from the kitchen/dining area. The stair rails were made of metal and cables. The walkout basement bathroom, where bedrooms were located, had an extra sink outside of the full bath along with extra storage. I liked this detail especially if your kids need the bathroom at the same time in the morning, etc. Modern design seems to be slow in acceptance for most Montanans but this was tastefully done.
I also wanted to comment on the Wilkinson’s Craftsmen style home out in the Spring Tree area: gorgeous! A private water feature out front drew you into the home.. Unique items were the travertine tile floors cut in random shapes and sizes…I mean up to about 3’ by 5’ pieces that was also used as the stair treads. Glass tiles were used on the basement fireplace, master bath details, kitchen backsplash. (This was the home mentioned above with the tray ceiling in the master closet and the arc wall adn soaker tub in fron tof the windows.) Windows everywhere!! Of course with the best views…my only drawback was the possibility of snakes getting to my dogs or me!
In years past the parade of Homes has had at least 1 remodeled home that the owner used to display her high-end bath products and tile. It was fun to see how the creativity using glass tiles, metal island support, and cool sinks really updated this generic home. I have been thinking about using my own homes remodel as an entry into the Parade of Homes to highlight my interior design talents. (Of course we would wait until phase 3 of the remodel is complete..master suite, backyard, kitchen replaced.) What do you think? Many people go through in a couple of days…


CONCRETE COUNTERS

Remodel update: I am including a couple of pictures of the concrete countertops that we had installed next to the fireplace. The colors may not be a true representation of their beauty. I chose a deep bronze, charcoal and sand coloring to pull out these colors from other areas of the remodel design. I also wanted a matte finish and slightly rustic so any kind of pock mark or blemish was okay by me. If any of you are interested in my contractor or wants to see the tops themselves just give me a call. We have decided to wait on the kitchen cabinets-I am looking for a certain type of upper cabinet and will relish the extra time to make sure it is just right! We have a lot more space to change it up.

Design quote of the week: “To take an edge off a white ceiling, always add 10% of the wall color to the ceiling paint.” -Sandra Nunnerly in Architectural Digest

No comments:

Post a Comment