Tuesday, October 5, 2010

FLASH SALES and an INSPIRATION

Are you always looking for a deal? I wanted to talk about “flash sale” websites such as www.HauteLook.com or www.OneKingsLane.com. If I cannot find an item in Great Falls, I will watch these websites for various items. These websites offer retailers a place to sell their wares at (sometimes huge) discounts for a very limited amount of time and are free for us to join. The time period can be just that day or 4 days, counting on impulse buying I am sure! But you may not have 4 days to make a purchase as items can and do sell out fast! The websites are updated frequently and sometimes list items that are on hold or in another shoppers’ cart. (For instance, the shopper only puts the item in their cart, but doesn’t decide to purchase, so you still have a chance.) Both of these websites will send an email on Sunday or ahead of time to alert you to the brands they will be offering that week. The purchase is actually made from the company itself, not the website. Like I said, if you are interested in an item, you had better act fast as they can be “SOLD OUT” in minutes. Some items I have perused were Seven for All Mankind jeans, rugs, and home accessories. The rug that got away for me would have been perfect, but alas I did not act in time and the sale expired.
So what if you see something, don’t buy it, then regret it later? If you remember the company offering the item, you can usually go directly to their website or you can google it. Keep in mind that it may not be on their website as it was a closeout and the price is almost guaranteed to be higher. I find this very helpful as amazon.com or nextag.com may show items you’re interested in. Put as much information as you can in the search box and it will pull up anything close. I used google.com to find my new house number plaque.
Another hint for getting a discount or free shipping is to sign up for email notifications from your favorite companies. They sometimes send out email only discounts or specials. Many times I will have my eye on an item and will watch to see if it goes on clearance or will wait for an email discount or sale. You do run the risk of the item getting sold out by the time a discount or sale comes along.
Whether you buy from these “flash sale” websites or not, they are fun to peruse and even just wish from.


Remember my new section on inspirations?
An inspiration came from
a trip to Seattle I saw a baby item with a giraffe skin print, so I decided I needed 3 giraffe skin paintings for my own home, after all I had a 12 ½ foot long wall and knew it would be awhile before I could afford a landscape by a local artist that I love(James Bason.) After looking on the internet for patterns I painted my own in 3 different colors: teal/aqua blue, gold and green. I wanted a little bit of a surprise and a “oh…I get it” from visitors and I think I get that… I have included a picture of them.


Remodel update: I am still searching for the perfect arrangement of furnishings, driving my husband crazy by asking him to help if any of it is too heavy for me to move myself. Second, we finally have house numbers on the front of the house. I shopped online for a mission style plaque and found one on www.etsy.com from georgiegirlstudios. I am also working a custom doorbell. Pictures will follow when that is complete.


Design quote of the week: “Nothing is passé if you really love it.”—Interior designer/antiques dealer Rose Tarlow, June/July 94

No comments:

Post a Comment