Monday, January 17, 2011

2011 Trends

It’s that time of year again..trends! What are the predictions?
Do you follow trends? Or do you follow your trends/signature style? As a designer I try to steer my clients toward what they are most comfortable with. Why go modern or contemporary if they love the warmth & coziness of the French Country or Traditional styles? I also think styles can be combined- for instance my own home is a mix of styles. What I call Montana Rustic, contemporary, French country, and traditional. I guess it could be termed Eclectic. I would be more contemporary if I didn’t live in Montana and have a few antiques that I just can’t bear to live without!

Back to trends...the predictions for this year are influenced by current social and economic happenings. A resurgence in people being interested in their ancestry which means more influence from patterns, textures and colors with a global influence. Ikat fabric designs are very popular, see Calico Corners website for fabric choices. This one is from the model Iman's collection.

Tied into this is the green movement. We will try to save the planet by reusing items over and over. (Can you say “recycle, redo, remodel?”) Reupholstering a couch or chair with a bright bold fabric can update the couch and prevent it from going into the landfill. I have a 1930-1940’s camelback couch and club chair that have been reupholstered twice and three times respectively in 15 years. (The first time I used an off-white brocade, then got 2 boxer dogs. Boxers and off-white couches don’t go very well together.)

The use of Grandma’s antiques or reusing bedroom furniture in the great room are examples. At my house, a nightstand could be painted a brighter color and used as an end table or an antique East Lake commode that is currently being used as a console style table, and will finally be reused as a bathroom vanity by adding a vessel sink with granite on top.
I realize I have used the above pictures before- they apply again to what I am discussing.

Social and economic happenings are also affecting how we are decorating our homes. It appears that the stresses of a slumping economy with houses not selling, and jobs going by the wayside have helped us decide to have homes that are comfortable, not ostentatious. We want comfort and what is familiar in the uncertain times. They are predicting our purchases will be more meaningful, keeping what we love and not necessarily buying the newest styles. You really don’t need to buy new when you are redesigning a room or area of your home.
** If you are looking to have a more modern look, why not buy a 1960 or 1970’s era couch from a garage or estate sale and refresh it with a new slipcover. (Be sure there are no smells attached- and you can find instructions online as to how to slipcover. Although it is not an easy job, it is very do-able if you own some pins and a sewing machine.) A coat rack made from older doorknobs... artwork using an old ceiling tile...an old metal cabinet used as an end table... "shabby chic" is a design style that encourages reuse and even unfinished-looking items.


Next week I will discuss more trends. There is a lot to discuss!!!

INSPIRATION OF THE WEEK: Linen fabric for my bay window shades had me thinking about…linen look tile. Very fresh, very fun and very traditional. Check out Ann Sacks Tile online.



Design Quote of the Week:
“Even if I love it, I don’t put everything on display. I am always ruthlessly editing.”—Madeline Weinrib, December 08 issue of Elle Décor Magazine

Remodel update: Nothing new to report…I am awaiting spruce planks to make a 6’ round table top. The planks are in a kiln drying to about 6% before I will get them. The base is still undecided…more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment